Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » , » Chakli (Arisi Murukku): A Quick Rice flour snack

Chakli (Arisi Murukku): A Quick Rice flour snack

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Wednesday, March 9, 2016 | 7:33 PM

A festival at my home will be incomplete without crunchy snacks like Murukulu, Chakli, Ribbon Murukulu or Chekkalu. Growing up we have less access to store bought junk food. Rather these crunchy snacks filled in huge Dabbas (Containers) are the go to food for us. Even though these are deep fried, I vote for them as they are home made, no preservatives and do not contain harmful chemicals. Better than store bought snacks. 

I still get loads of these snacks from India, made by my Mom.My Kids love em. My little one loves them in his snack dabba. Once in a while I make em so I do not lose the habit. Most of the times I make easy Chevdo (Atukula mixture) as it is quick to make and takes very little oil. My other favorite is Chekkalu (Pappu chekkalu). Check out my Ragi Chekkalu (Ragi Thattai) recipe to try something healthy. 

During holidays, when Kids are gonna be home I usually make these kind of snacks. This time I made chakli. With little patience and a  murukulu press, you can make these chakli easily. It is also a nice way to bring your man into the Kitchen to work those muscles:-), like I did. There are new kind of Murukulu press available in stores which makes the pressing easy compare to those oldies from Mom’s or Grand ma’s time. They are available in Indian stores here in USA. each press will come with set of molds and the mold used for chakli is Star Shaped one.

Few things to remember to make it easy : Use a wide Kadai so you can make more in a single batch which would reduce work and saves time.

You can multiply quantities to make more .



Servings:
Eight (8)
Total time:
45 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups Rice flour
  • 1/4 cup Besan
  • 1 tbsp Sesame seeds (Nuvvulu)
  • 1 tbsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
  • 1 tsp Ajwain (Vaamu)
  • Salt
  • 1 tbsp Chili powder or adjust
  • 2 tbsp butter


Chakli Stepwise recipe

  1. Melt butter. In a wide bowl, add all ingredients. Mix with hands and make a dough using water.
  2. The dough should be hard enough to come together but not too hard. 
  3. Heat oil in a Kadai for deep fry.I used Vegetable oil.
  4. Fix Star shape mold into the Murukku Press. Fill the press with dough.Close the press.
  5. Now you can press Murukulu on a oil rubbed thick plastic cover or directly into the oil if you are a pro.
  6. I use the first method.I used a ziplock cover and rubbed with oil so Chakli won’t stick.
  7. Now press to make Chakli spirals. If they are out of shape don’t worry. They will still taste good.
  8. Now remove chakli from cover and carefully drop into oil. 
  9. The oil should be on medium flame so chakli will cook nicely.
  10. Fry till slightly brown. Once at room temperature, they should be crunchy.
  11. If they are soft, either they were not cooked enough or the oil is too hot.
  12. Once at room temperature, store chakli in an airtight container.
  13. Serve em with hot Ginger Tea or as it is.

0 comments :

Post a Comment