Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » , , , » Soy Tawa Pulao: Vegan, Protein rich Rice recipe

Soy Tawa Pulao: Vegan, Protein rich Rice recipe

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 | 12:51 PM



A favorite childhood memory of mine is tied to a Neem tree that is present where my Grandparents used to live . Under the Neem tree is a swing and one of my favorite past time  during holidays. All the little kids used to gather there and take turns to swing while young ladies used to gather and chit chat. I spent many holidays like that. It was a time where children were free of Gadgets and the favorite past time is to find a group activity and play together. Over the years people moved away so as the swing is gone but the Neem tree was still there. 

one fine weekend I had a guest coming over to my home from New York. She used to live on that same street. We were happy to meet after a long time. My cousin was also home that day and he still have a home on that very street. We also invited another friend from that street who happen to be in Dallas that time. We had a blast going down the memory lane. You might be thinking what's the story got to do with this recipe. I'm coming to the point:-).

Since I had lot of guests that day I wanted to make a simple yet special meal and ended up making this SoyTawaPulao. He he :-), now you know the story behind the recipe. 

Tawa Pulao is my go to recipe when ever I wanna make a something special in bulk. Another such simple yet delicious recipe is Rava Pongal . These are perfect when you are planning to make something casual or pair up with other dishes to make a formal dinner. 

Tawa Pulao is a famous Mumbai street food where cooked rice is tossed with Veggies, spices and Pav bhaji masala. I have used Pavbhaji Masala in this recipe hence I called it Tawa Pulao but I have added ingredients and adapted the recipe to my liking. The star ingredient here is Soy granules. They are a by product of Soy bean hence rich in proteins. Also they are very small in size so kids can enjoy them too. I have used Nutrela brand Soy granules and MDH Pavbhaji masala. You might also known them as Meal maker in India. Finally all my guests loved it including my kids. I have also posted another Soy granule recipe, Soy Bhurji which goes well with Rice, Roti. Also try my Soy chunks Korma, which is a delicious gravy curry . I have another Tawa pulao recipe on the blog, Sprouts Paneer Pulao.


I served the Pulao with Raita and the combo was perfect. You do not need any Curry with this Pulao. So try it next time you have friends coming over. 


Servings:
Three (3)
Total Time:
45 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cup Basmati Rice
  • 1/3 cup Soy Granules
  • 1/4 cup Green Beans
  • 1/4 cup chopped Carrots
  • 1/4 cup Peas
  • 1/4 cup chopped green bel pepper optionally
  • 2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
  • 2.5 tbsp Pavbhaji Masala
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/2 tomato optionally
  • 1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp Shahi Jeera


Soy Tawa Pulao Step Wise recipe


  1. Wash 1.5 cup Basmati Rice, add 2 and 1/4 cup water, Soak for 30 minutes if you have time or proceed with cooking. Soaking enhances grain size.
  2. To the Rice add little salt, 1 tbsp butter, 2-3 bay leaves and cook. I have used Rice cooker for this. 
  3. While Rice is cooking- Chop veggies into small pieces, if using fresh.
  4. Chop Mint leaves.
  5. Take 1/3 cup soy granules in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with water and microwave for 2-3 minutes. Leave em
  6. Aside at least 5 minutes. Soy granules will expand.
  7. In a pan heat 2 tbsp butter. Add 1 tsp Shahi Jeera.
  8. Add ginger garlic paste. Cook few seconds. 
  9. Add mint leaves. Stir. 
  10. Add chopped carrots first as they take more time to cook. If you are using frozen mixed veggies add all. 
  11. Cook veggies till soft. 
  12. Add salt to taste. Mix.
  13. Now Squeeze soy granules to remove water. Add to the above pan. Stir well. Cover pan and cook for couple minutes. 
  14. Add cooked rice to the pan. Mix well to coat the soy and veggies.
  15. Add salt to taste, 2.5 tbsp Pav bhaji masala. Mix well and taste.
  16. You can add some chilli powder if you want more spice. I did not use it.
  17. Cook rice covered for couple minutes. Turn off stove.
  18. Serve Pulao with Raita. 

Tips: 
  • You can use soy chunks ( Meal maker) if you cannot find granules.
  • You can add other veggies like corn, potato.
  • You can add green bel pepper, chopped into small pieces. Add these just before adding rice. Cook for a minute and add Rice. They should be half cooked.




0 comments :

Post a Comment