Ragulu otherwise known as Ragi/Fnger millet is a cereal grain commonly used in India. It is used in the form of grain and also as flour. You can find this flour in any Indian store in U.S. It is a gluten free cereal. Also it is a unprocessed grain so it can be had in it's purest form.
This Ragi Lassi is a very healthy and nutritious buttermilk drink. It is made by mixing Ragi Java(cooked millet flour) and yogurt together and by whisking the mixture. It's a common practice to drink this Lassi during blazing Indian summers. Ragi lassi has a tendency to cool the body, which is essential during summers. It also gives strength to the body.According to Ayurveda (Indian traditional medicine), heat in the body( Pitta) can cause many health problems. Buttermilk and Millet together can fight that problem naturally.Have a cup of this Ragi lassi every day and stay healthy.
Nutrition : Millets are rich in calcium, fiber, iron.Also a very good substitute for rice in case of diabetic people. Being a fiber source it can help reduce cholestrol. Has very little amount of fats. Also by consuming little amounts of Ragi, it makes you feel full so it's a natural weight loss product. While Ragi has loads of benefits, yogurt, especially home made yogurt is good for the body with it's Lacto Bacillus bacteria, the good bacteria that can aid in digestion. Together it's a super drink yet tasty.
While many dishes can be prepared with Ragi, the easiest way to get it's benefits is this Ragi lassi drink.With only two ingredients and salt it can be prepared in under 15 minutes. In order to make this lassi, Ragi Java( cooked millet flour) needs to be prepared first. Ragi flour is cooked in water is called Java. Then it's mixed with yogurt, water and salt to make Ragi Lassi. In this recipe I used home made yogurt. You can also use store bought yogurt. In that case add less yogurt as store bought variety is thicker.You can also use greek yogurt.This Ragi Java can be stored in refrigerator for few days and you can enjoy the lassi any time you want.
My way of having it is between meals so it makes you feel full and you do not get the urge of snacking ;-).
Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1 cup= 8 oz= 250 ml)
- 1/4 cup Ragi flour (Finger millet flour)
- 1/4 cup home made yogurt or store bought
- 1.5 cup water for Java and more for Lassi
- Pinch of Salt or salt to taste
- Chopped curry leaves optionally
Ragi Lassi Step by step recipe with photos
- Boil 1 cup water in a vessel.
- Take 1/2 cup water in a bowl, add 1/4 th cup Ragi flour to it and whisk to mix.
- When the water starts to boil add the flour mixture to boiling water slowly while mixing with a spoon.
- Cook the flour for 3 minutes till thickens but still runny.You can add more water while cooking if necessary.Java thickens once it gets cold.
- Transfer to a bowl.This is Ragi Java.
- To make Ragi lassi, add 1/4 th cup Ragi java, 1/4 th cup home made yogurt in a 8 oz cup/glass.Add water to fill the glass.Add little salt. Whisk it with hand blender or with a whisk ( Majjiga Kavvam) to make smooth butter milk.You can add more or less water depending on thickness and also your preference.
- Top it with few chopped curry leaves and serve.