Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » , » Veggi Dibbarotte ( Thick pancake from Idli batter)

Veggi Dibbarotte ( Thick pancake from Idli batter)

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Sunday, March 8, 2015 | 6:24 PM


Dibbarotte is made from Idli batter which is made using Blackgram with out skin (Minapa gundlu/Whole Udad) and idli rava (Cream of Rice). The name stands for 'thick roti'. It is similar to Utappam in the way it's made,pan cooked. To make Dibbarotte, batter is spread thickly on a pan to make it fluffy, stout. It is cooked on slow flame so it's cooked all the way through properly.It is then served with Sambar or chutney or both.It also goes well with my Karappodi recipe.

When ever I make Idli or Quinoa Idli batter I make Idli on the day 1. Then Day 2, I make dibbarotte for either breakfast or dinner. Also I make it for my Kid's lunch box. I make extra peanut chutney on day 1 and savor dibbarotte with peanut chutney and Idli karam.

Saying all that, I'm not a big fan of regular dibbarotte. But I gave it a yummy n healthy twist and it became all my family's favorite. Even though we all like it with different combinations, ultimately we all love it.

To feed my Tot I use grated carrot, chopped spinach.Then i drizzle peanut powder on top, while it's hot and feed him.Some times I make Sambar and dip it in that.

For my Kid I add onions and grated Carrot .I then drizzle peanut powder or Idli Karam on the top (his favorite lunch box item).

Here, in this recipe I have made my usual version and you can make changes according to your family liking. I used serrano chill as it's milder than thai chill but you can use any chili that you have on hand. It gives a kick of spiciness to dibbarotte. I love adding chopped green pepper/Capsicum. They  will cook partially and still retain nice crunch which adds texture to dibbarotte. Grated carrot just disappears in the dish as I use cheese grater to great it.Adding onion is a must as it adds nice crunch along with pepper. Altogether these veggies give the dibbarotte nice flavor and texture and breaks it from being bland.Since it has nice flavors you can serve it with Idli karam. You do not need any other sides with this. 
 Dibbarotte for my kid's lunch box.

Servings:
one (1)- yields 3 dibbarotte
Total time:
20 minutes
Category:
breakfast,kidzbites
Author:
Praveena Gudipati

Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml)

  • 1 cup Idli batter (made using Idli Rava)
  • 1 Serrano chilli
  • 2 tablespoon grated carrot
  • 1/3 onion
  • 3 tablespoon chopped green bell pepper
  • Little Salt

Veggi Dibbarotte step-by-step Recipe with Photos


  1. chop onions finely. Grate carrot using cheese grater or usual grater. Chop Green bell pepper into small pieces.chop chill into small pieces.
  2. Take Idli batter in a bowl.Add all the ingredients and stir.
  3. Heat a pan. Take a teaspoon of oil and spread on the pan.
  4. Place batter in the pan and spread batter with back of spoon like pancake thick. Remember that when it's cooked, it's gonna puff up. I do not like very thick so usually I spread em more.
  5. Now top it with 2 teaspoon oil. It needs more oil to cook through the thick pancake.
  6. Now cook on medium low flame for about 3-4 minutes. 
  7. When bottom is browned flip it and cook for couple more minutes.
  8. Take it off the pan. Serve it with Peanut chutney or Idli Karam.  Below picture shows typical dibbarotte with Idli Karam.

Tips: 

  • Modify the veggies according to your taste.
  • Cooking with more oil gives a nice crunchy top. Adjust oil according to your preference.
  • you can add chili powder or green chili paste instead of chopped chillies.

Related Recipes:



0 comments :

Post a Comment