Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » » Eggplant Fry (Vankaya Karam) Shallowfry method:

Eggplant Fry (Vankaya Karam) Shallowfry method:

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Thursday, January 15, 2015 | 10:45 PM


If you have a spicy palette like my family, you will love this recipe.This is a healthy alternative to the regular deep fried Eggplant fry without compromising the taste.So you can make it more frequently without the guilt.I should start a new category 'guilt free recipes;-)'. This fry is usually savoured with Rice and Ghee or accompanied by Dal or Sambar( Veggi lentil stew).

I like to try regular recipes with a healthy twist. It might be adding or substituting a recipe with healthy ingredients or it can be by changing cooking methods, like this recipe. Basically when the dish is done it should give me the same satisfaction of eating the regular recipe.Then I would give it a thumbs up and you will see that dish on my blog. Few of the dishes that fall into this category are Quinoa Idli/ Dosa, baked gobi 65, baked samosa etc.. Some of these recipes are already on the blog and more are coming.


In this recipe I have used long eggplant usually called as Chinese eggplant. I haven't tried it with gutti Vankaya (round eggplant) as they take more time to cook. I have used olive oil which is my regular cooking oil. I made the spice powder in mortar and pestle. I have this cute mortar and pestle which I use very frequently. The chilli powder I usually use does not have salt in it so it took me 2 teaspoon salt. Keep that in mind while adding salt(Some people use chili powder which already has salt in it).

Today I made this fry along with Dosakaya Pappu ( Cucumber Dal). But enjoy it with any dal or even plain dal(Mudda pappu) and Rice.


Servings:
Four (4)
Total time:
20 minutes
Category:
Frys/Stirfrys
Author:
Praveena Gudipati

Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml)
2 long Eggplant 
3 tablespoon chilli powder
4 garlic cloves
2 teaspoon salt or salt to taste
3 tablespoon oil




Eggplant Fry (Vankaya Karam)  step-by-step Recipe with Photos



  1. Cut each Eggplant into half and chop into big cubes.Place them in water infused with salt and turmeric otherwise they will change color.
  2. Crush garlic to a coarse paste using  mortar and pestle.Alternatively you can use grated garlic.
  3. Take salt, chilli powder and little bit garlic paste and blend in a coffee grinder or the way I made it using mortar and pestle.Do not mix the whole garlic paste as it would make the VellulliKaram clumpy.
  4. Keep this VellulliKaram ( garlic spice powder) aside.
  5. Now heat a wide fry pan and take oil in it. The pan should be big enough to place eggplants in a single layer. 
  6. Put the stove on medium high so the eggplants will get a nice charred texture. Place the eggplants in the pan.
  7. Cook/Fry the egg plants till they are soft but not mushy. You can press a piece of eggplant with spatula to see it's cooked. It took me 5-6 minutes for the eggplant to cook.
  8. Now turn off the stove and remove the pan from stove. Add the prepared spice powder along with rest of the garlic paste to the fried Eggplants. Mix gently to coat the powder to the pieces.Adding the powder to the pan gives a nice aroma since the pan will be still hot.
  9. Immediately remove the Vankaya fry into a serving dish.
  10. Optionally heat little oil and fry the curry leaves.Garnish the fry with it.
  11. Serve this fry along with Rice and Ghee or accompanied by Dal.


Tips: 
  • You can make extra vellulli karam and keep it handy to use it later.


Related Recipes:


0 comments :

Post a Comment