Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!

Tofu Bhurji

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Saturday, January 3, 2015 | 6:03 PM


The first time I tasted this was in a chinese fast food joint in combination with Egg plant along with Chow mien. It was ok I thought.when I was shopping in my organic grocery store I found it in refrigerated section. I wanted to try out this vegan protein source for a long time. I got it home and the first thing I cooked was Tofu Bhurji. It was tasty and my whole family enjoyed it including my Tot. I'm not a big fan of paneer but I liked Tofu so much that it became our regular dish and I always carry a pack of Tofu in refrigerator.

What is Tofu: Tofu is similar to paneer in the way it's made. Paneer is made from cow milk where as Tofu is made from coagulating Soy milk.So tofu is a plant based protein/ vegan protein. Unlike Paneer Tofu doesn't contain cholestrol which is another advantage over paneer. It is also rich in iron and calcium. Tofu in taste is bland which makes it suitable to mix with various vegetables. 

There are couple of reasons for cooking this particular recipe. One: I already know it goes well with tomato since it's similar to Soy chunks. Second: Since it is flavorless, bland chunk of protein the better way to get maximum flavour is by crumbling/ grating it and flavor it  with magical Indian spices :-). Gosh I have a spicy palette and the only way I can eat this is either spice it up or hide it in some thing.

 In this recipe I have used sprouted firm tofu but you can make it with any tofu.I have used  very few spices to keep this light and refreshing.This Bhurji obviously goes well with Roti or Chapati. You can add some garam masala at the end optionally.



Servings:
Four (4)
Total time:
30 minutes
Category:
Vegetables
Author:
Praveena Gudipati

Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml)

  • 1 Pack Sprouted firm Tofu or any Firm Tofu
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1 Carrot
  • 3/4th big onion
  • 2 inch ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tablespoons chilli powder or adjust
  • Coriander leaves
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds





Tofu Bhurji step-by-step Recipe with Photos


  1. Chop onions lengthwise finely and cut into small sections.
  2. Chop tomatoes finely.
  3. Peel and Chop Carrot into small cubes.
  4. Keep ginger garlic paste ready.
  5. Crumble tofu with hands or grate using grater for more uniform texture.
  6. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, when they splutter add ginger garlic paste.
  7. Add onions next.Sautée onions till they are translucent.
  8. Add turmeric.
  9. Add Carrots and cook  for a minute. 
  10. Add tomatoes and cook till they are soft.
  11. Add salt to taste and chilli powder.
  12. Add crumbled tofu and mix nicely.
  13. Cook for couple minutes to get all the flavors together.Tofu does not need to be cooked for long.You can add some water at this point if the curry becomes too thick.
  14. Turn off the stove and garnish with coriander.
     
  15. Squeeze 1 teaspoon lemon juice optionally.
  16. You can also add garam masala if you like.
  17. Serve with Roti/Chapati. 

Related Recipes:
  • Spinach tofu Paratha 
  • Tofu sandwich
  • Zucchini tofu curry


0 comments :

Post a Comment