Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!

Cranberry Coconut Chutney

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Thursday, January 21, 2016 | 6:17 PM


Cranberries are one of my latest passion. I would say I 've got addicted to these tiny, tangy, red berries. These berries are fall produce and will disappear by January from the stores. So I make the best out of em while they are freshly available.

During the month of January, Lot of Hindus celebrate the festival of Makar Sankranti and as a part of this festival, people use wild berries (Regi pandlu) for doing Bhogi ceremony for Kids. Since those wild berries aren't available in US, lot of people use cranberries in that place. So I was in hunt for those berries as the cranberry season is almost over.Too bad I couldn't find em but luckily a friend lent me some of em. That is how I got hold of the cranberries that were used for the Bhogi ceremony for my lil one and then the rest went into this chutney recipe.

When the festival was over and I got free time on hand, I saw these left over berries in the fridge and thought of making my Cranberry Rasam. Along with Rasam I thought of making coconut chutney. When I took both of em out, it clicked me that I can try using cranberries in place of Tamarind and ended up making this yummilicious recipe.

Cranberry coconut chutney is a very quick recipe which can be made under 20 minutes. The chutney goes well with Rice and Roti. I spread it on Chapati and packed in my Kid's lunch box. I also had it in my sandwich as spread. It was delicious in every way. I will be making this recipe again n again, as long as I can find cranberries :-). I never looked for them in  frozen aisle but if they are available, can be used to make Cranberry rice, cranberry rasam and this chutney. Of course for my cranberry pickle recipe though, fresh cranberries need to be used.

In this recipe I have used frozen coconut but if you have fresh coconut, it can be used. For spice I have used red chili powder since cranberries will bring red color to the chutney and chili powder will enhance that color. But if you prefer green chillies,  you can use em. Just fry the chillies in lil bit oil. Adjust spice according to your taste.




Servings :

Eight (8)

Total time:
20 minutes
Author:
Praveena Gudipati
Category:
Chutney/Pickles

Ingredients (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml):
  • 1.5 cup Grated Coconut (Fresh or frozen)
  • 3/4 th cup Cranberries
  • Salt to tatse
  • 1 tbsp. Chilli powder
  • 3 tbsp. oil
For seasoning:
  • Mustard seeds
  • Cumin seeds
  • Turmeric
  • Curry leaves
  • 2 Red chillies



Cranberry Coconut Chutney Recipe


  1. Rinse 3/4th cup berries with water.
  2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add whole cranberries and cook for couple minutes. You will see cranberries pop open and turn lil soft.
  3. Measure 1.5 cup grated coconut. You can use frozen or fresh coconut. If you are using frozen coconut defrost in microwave or just keep it out for a while, in advance.
  4. Now in a mixer/blender add coconut, cranberries, salt to taste, 1 tbsp chili powder . Blend till smooth using little water.
  5. Take the chutney in a serving bowl.
  6. Now heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies and curry leaves. Once they splutter turn off the heat and add pinch of turmeric. Add the tempering to the chutney. Stir.
  7. Serve with Rice or Roti.

Tips:

  • Adjust sourness according to your taste. if chutney feels sour, you can add more coconut or you want it to be more tangy, add few more cranberries.
  • Adjust spice accordingly.

Related recipes:
Jowar Dosa/Jonna Dosa/Chola dosai

0 comments :

Post a Comment