Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » , , , » Methi Thepla :A traditional Gujarati breakfast

Methi Thepla :A traditional Gujarati breakfast

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Thursday, January 28, 2016 | 11:45 PM

These yellow hued, fenugreek flavored Thepla are not only delicious to eat but are fragrant while  cooking. Thepla are traditional Gujarati breakfast made with wheat flour. You can also mix lil bit besan (Chickpea flour) to wheat flour. Thepla can be made plain or can be flavored with Methi (Fenugreek) leaves or other vegetables.I also make Kale Thepla. Since Thepla are flavored with spices they do not need a Subji on the side. Traditionally Thepla is served with chunda, a sweet mango pickle or with Yogurt. I serve them with Yogurt, sprinkled with chat masala and sometimes with a curry. Today I serve em with Salan gravy, Yogurt.

These are my family favorite and my son’s lunch box favorite. I pack em in lunch box along with string cheese or Egg and some fruits to cover all food groups.Do check my other Paratha recipes on the blog.Spinach cheese Paratha, Hummus Paratha, Aloo Palak Paratha where I add Aloo in the dough. These are perfect for lunch box coz you can make dough the night before and make Parathas in the morning under 15 minutes. Since they have veggies inside they are wholesome and nutritious. 

I have used my Ninja food processor to make the Thepla dough. It was my Thanksgiving Possession. I love to use it for making chapathi/Roti dough and cookie dough etc. it is pretty fast, no mess, easy to clean. Love it totally. Once dough is out of the food processor, I Knead lil bit. 

If you are planning to eat Thepla right away, you can use oil moderately. But if you are planning to have em later, it needs enough oil or spread em with Ghee once they are  off the pan. This way they will be soft. When I’m making these for kids lunch box I use oil generously. Thepla can be flavored with masalas like coriander powder, cumin powder etc. You can adjust and use them according to your taste.Now lets proceed to the recipe and make yummy yummy Thepla.


Servings:
Four (4)
Total Time :
45 minutes

Ingredients (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml):
  • 2 cups whole Wheat flour or Multigrain Atta 
  • 1/4 cup Besan optionally
  • 1.5 cup Methi leaves (Fenugreek leaves)
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp Ajwain (Carom seeds/Vamu)
  • 1tsp Coriander powder (Dhaniya powder)
  • 1/2 tsp Chat masala optionally
  • 2 tsp grated ginger
  • salt
  • 2 tsp chilli powder or adjust
  • 1 tbsp oil and oil to cook Thepla

Methi Thepla Recipe

  1. Separate about 1.5 cups Fenugreek leaves, rinse with water, drain and chop them.
  2. Grate 2 tsp Ginger.
  3. Add all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix with hand. I like using Chat masala which would add nice flavor but you can skip if you do not have it.Also Carom seeds (Vamu/Ajwain ) are used here.I have not added Besan or millet flour as I already used multigrain Atta. 
  4. Now add water to make a soft dough like Chapathi dough.You can also add lil bit yogurt along with water.I have not used it. 
  5. Keep the dough aside 15-20 minutes.
  6. Now make small balls out of the dough. I made about 12. 
  7. Coat the balls with wheat flour and with a rolling pin roll em into a circle.
  8. Heat a griddle and place the roti on the pan.
  9. Cook both sides using oil. Use oil moderately if you are eating right away or generously if you are gonna have em later.
  10. Take Thepla off the pan once cooked. Serve hot with Yogurt or curry of your choice.
Tips:

  • You can add more Fenugreek leaves if you like.
  • Adjust spices, oil accordingly.









0 comments :

Post a Comment