Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » » Tomato Pulao: With Paneer and Soy granules

Tomato Pulao: With Paneer and Soy granules

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Friday, April 1, 2016 | 4:38 PM

Spring is in the air. So as the Varun dev (Rain God) is working hard ;-) means it's raining hard outside. I love spring except for allergies :-(. 

Spring is about new life. After winter hibernation, plants kick start another cycle of their life. Budding leaves with vibrant greens, beautiful and colorful blooms are a lovely sight during spring. 

Also this is my 1st spring season in my new home which means I'm gonna start my backyard garden. Planning to plant Veggies, some fruits and last but not least flowers. I already have my Curry leaf plant which successfully survived Texas winter and started showing new leaves. 

So the rain and mild chill is making me crave for eating spicy food. I wasn't in the mood to cook elaborated meal so I made this spicy Tomato Pulao. Before I started my prep, I checked my refrigerator and Pantry for stuff that would suit this recipe and found Paneer, mixed veggies and soy granules. And the Tasty tomato pulao became tastier with the addition of all these ingredients. 

It's been a while I made this Pulao and everyone loved it and ate every last grain of it. I ended up making it again after few days. Yes! It was that good. Do try this recipe and if you like Pulao/Biryani recipes, try my Hyderabadi Vegetable Biryani, Coconut Pulao, Soy Tawa Pulao , Sprouts Paneer Pulao recipes. Each of these has their own, unique flavors with my special touches to the recipes.

I made the tomato Pulao twice in a week. Once with Roma tomatoes and other time with Tomatoes on the wine and I loved Tomatoes on the wine better in this recipe. I felt they added more flavor to the pulao. But you can make em with any tomatoes you like. 

Serve the Tomato Pulao with Raita. Since it's spicy you do not require a curry but again you can serve my Kaju (Cashew) Paneer Masala or Soy chunks Korma on the side. I also had hard boiled eggs on the side just coz I love to eat eggs with any Pulao.

Lastly if you are a Vegan skip butter and use oil. Your Vegan Pulao is ready.

Servings:
Four (4)
Total Time:
45 minutes

Ingredients (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml):
  • 2 cups Basmati Rice
  • 3 cups water
  • 3 Tbsp Butter or adjust
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1/2 cup Mint leaves
  • 1/2 cup Mixed vegetables
  • 1/2 cup Paneer Cubes
  • 1/4 cup Soy Granules
  • 2 Big Tomatoes
  • 1 Tsp garam masala or adjust
  • 1 tsp Shahi Jeera
  • 1 Star Anise
  • 3 bay leaves
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 Tbsp Ginger garlic paste
  • 1 Tbsp Chili Powder


Tomato Pulao step wise Recipe



  1. Rinse 2 cups rice and soak in 3 cups water for at least 30 minutes. Do it first so rice is soaked enough by the time you are ready to add it to the recipe. Soaking Rice enhances grain size.
  2. Chop 2 big Tomatoes roughly.Blend to a smooth puree.
  3. Soak soy granules in a bowl filled with warm water for atleast 5 minutes
  4. Chop mint leaves.
  5. Chop Paneer into medium size cubes.About 1/2 cup is needed.You can use more if you like Paneer.
  6. Now heat 3 tbsp butter in a pan. I used my Rice cooker with Sautee and simmer feature for whole process. You can do the sautéing in fry pan and use Rice cooker for cooking.You can also do whole thing on stove top.
  7. Add whole masalas and fry for few seconds.
  8. Add ginger garlic paste. fry few seconds.
  9. Add mint leaves and fry few seconds.
  10. Add Onions and cook till they are slightly browned.
  11. Add Mixed vegetables and cook few minutes.
  12. Add Tomato puree. Stir.
  13. Add Salt to taste, chili powder and Garam masala.Stir.
  14. Cook for 5 minutes.
  15. Squeeze and add soaked Soy Granules to the vessel.
  16. Add Paneer cubes.Cook for a minute.
  17. Add Basmati Rice to the above. Stir well.
  18. Mix rice gently few minutes before rice is done, while it still has little water left.If you mix after rice is done it might break the grains.
  19. Cook till rice is done.
  20.  Serve with Raita.


0 comments :

Post a Comment