Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » , » Aloo Chole (Potato Chickpeas Gravy)

Aloo Chole (Potato Chickpeas Gravy)

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Monday, January 23, 2017 | 9:16 AM

When I have to cook meal for a big crowd, couple of my go to recipes are Coconut Pulao,  Chana masala . The reason, easy to make in bulk without losing flavors and quick recipes comparatively. Most of the times I add Potato to the Chana masala recipe coz I love the combo.So today when I'm having big crowd of friends coming over for dinner unexpectedly, I opted for these recipes along with cabbage chutney, Sambar which also goes well with Coconut rice. The meal as a hit and I was left with empty dishes which wold be a joy to any host.

Punjabi Chole masala , as the name says belongs to the Punjabi cuisine. Boiled Chana (Chickpeas/Garbanzo beans) simmered in onion tomato gravy and spiced with Chole masala is a delicacy usually served on the side with Roti, Pulao or Puri. Infant Puri, Chole is one of my favorite breakfast. Aloo Chole is simply addition of Potatoes to the recipe which I feel enhances the taste. Also Potatoes give volume to the recipe as the priority is to make curry in bulk. The recipe needs little planning as Chana needs to be soaked for several hours and pressure cooked. But the recipe today is lot quicker as I used canned Garbanzo beans.Secret revealed :-). But trust me, no one would complain. Even though I don’t like to use canned goods much very few exceptions are these canned chana. Or you can pre boil chana and store em in the freezer to use later. Also I used store bought Chole masala  which is perfect for the quick recipe. I like Badshah brand or MDH brand and today I used Badshah Punjabi Chole Masala.When i'm pre planned I make Masala at home.Today I made the curry medium spicy as I have Kids in guests. Use more masala if you like spicy.


When it comes to the perfection of a finished recipe it gets decided by 3 things, Taste, Texture and appearance. When ever I'm making a  recipe until I get all these 3 I won't be satisfied. If one of the criteria doesn't meet it might get on to my dining table but it won't get on my blog :-). When it comes to chana masala, I like the chana and gravy to be in balance. Too much chana with little gravy or too runny with little chana is a No No for me. So the Chana masala turned out perfect and the guests devoured every last bit of it. After hardly capturing a picture it was time for it to get it on the blog. Try coconut rice along with it. You will love it. If you are looking for more party recipes try my Hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani , Tomato Pulao or Scezwan fried rice. Another quick recipe for a big crowd is Tawa Pulao . Check my Soy Tawa pulao recipe.Now back to our Aloo Chole.

Servings: Ten (10)

Total Time:40 minutes

Ingredients (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml):
  • 2 Potatoes 
  • 500g Chana (Chickpeas/Garbanzo beans)
  • 3 inch Ginger
  • 3 Tbsp oil
  • 4 Roma Tomatoes or any other tomatoes
  • 2 Onions
  • 1/2 tsp Amchur
  • 1/4 tsp Turmeric (Pasupu)
  • 1/4 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
  • 3-4 Serrano green chillies or adjust 
  • 4 tbsp Punjabi chole masala (I used Badshah brand) or adjust
  • 1 tbsp Kasoori methi
  • Salt to taste

Aloo Chole Step wise Recipe 



  1. Chop 2 onions into medium size pieces.
  2. Chop 4 Roma tomatoes into big pieces. You can use any other Tomatoes. Hybrid Tomatoes are big in size so use may be 3. 
  3. Grate 3 inch piece of Ginger.
  4. In a fry pan take a tbsp oil. Add chopped onions and fry em till they turn transparent and slightly changed in color.
  5. Add tomatoes and cook till soft.
  6. Add little salt and turmeric. 
  7. Let the mixture cools down. Now open the Chickpea can and drain water. Add few tbsp chickpeas to the onion tomato mixture and blend it to a smooth paste. 
  8. Chop 2 big potatoes into big pieces. 
  9. Chop 3-4 green chillies into big rounds.
  10. Add 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
  11. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp hing. 
  12. Add grated ginger. Fry for few seconds.
  13. Add chopped Potatoes . Cook em till done. You can cover pan to make it quick. Alternatively you can deep fry potatoes. They would taste even better.
  14. Once Potatoes are done, add 4 tbsp Punjabi Chole masala. Cook for 30 sec. 
  15. Add chopped green chillies.
  16. Add rest of chana to the above pan. 
  17. Add the onion tomato mixture to the pan. 
  18. Cook covered for 5 minutes. 
  19. Now add salt to taste, 1/2 tsp Amchur and 1 tbsp Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves). 
  20. Mix well and add water to adjust consistency. Cook covered 10 minutes or till oil floats on top. 
  21. Remove into a serving dish. 

Tips and Variations:
  • Adjust Masala according to your taste.
  • You can make the same recipe with Kala chana (Black Chickpeas).
  • You can make the same recipe with out Potatoes.
  • You can also ground soaked Cashews or almonds along with Onion tomato mixture.









0 comments :

Post a Comment