Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » , » Curry leaves Powder: With Coconut and flaxseeds

Curry leaves Powder: With Coconut and flaxseeds

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Friday, September 15, 2017 | 11:18 PM




Curry leaves are one of the essential ingredient in South Indian cooking. With out them the seasoning/Tadka feels incomplete. Being a gardening lover I have a curry leaf plant in my Kitchen garden. I love to pluck the fragrant, fresh leaves and use em in my cooking. While it's an essential ingredient in Indian cooking, many people pick these leaves out before they eat. There is even a saying in Telugu 'Kuralo Karivepaku' (Curry leaves in a curry) which means 'having less significance.' Anyway I totally disagree that these leaves are less significant. Using/cooking them in right way you can really enjoy the benefits of these leaves.

By the way what's so great about these leaves you might ask. These leaves are loaded with nutrients. They are rich in Iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin B, C,E, fiber. Also rich in antioxidants. Known to help with indigestion, excessive acid production. Consuming these leaves daily will also nourish hair growth. With so many benefits they are very significant in order to cook and eat healthy. One special ingredient in this recipe is flax seeds. Flax seeds are rich in fiber, Omega-3 fatty acids, Iron, Protein etc. They help with healthy skin, hair. They have anti cancer properties.

So I was thinking how to make my kids eat these leaves on a daily basis in good amounts. Traditionally we make curry leaf rice, Karivepaku Pacchadi (Chutney) , Podi etc. Among these I picked the idea of making Podi (Powder) which would serve as great side with many South Indian breakfast recipes like Idli, Dosa, Utappam etc. Also Podi usually is served with steaming hot Rice and Ghee. This powder is handy to be packed in lunch box especially.

In order to make the Podi more healthy I have added few more healthy ingredients; Coconut  powder, flax seeds and Lentils . I would say every ingredient in this recipe is healthy. 

So that's the story behind this recipe.I started giving this powder drizzled on Idli topped with Ghee for my son. He calls em Green Idli and absolutely loves em. I also pack it along with Utappam, Rice.

Ingredients (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml):
  • 4 cups Curry leaves (Karivepaku)
  • 1/3 cup coconut powder 
  • 2 Tbsp Chanadal (Split Bengalgram)
  • 1 Tbsp Urad dal (Skinned Green gram)
  • 1 Tsp Cumin
  • 1 tbsp flax seeds or more 
  • 2 Red chillies or adjust 
  • 1-2 Tbsp oil
  • Salt to taste

Karivepaku Kobbari podi Recipe

  1. Clean the Curry leaves (Karivepaku) with water and let em dry. You can do this by spreading leaves in a single layer on top of a clean cotton cloth or Paper napkin. 
  2. Leave em out for few hrs to air dry. 
  3. Now heat 1Tbsp oil in a pan. Add Chana dal(Split bengalgram) and Urad dal. Roast them till brown. Add cumin seeds, red chillies, flax seeds.  Roast a minute and remove em onto a plate to keep aside.
  4. In the same pan add Curry leaves. Simmer the heat and let leaves roast. When the moisture is gone, if you mix leaves they make sound. Add dry coconut powder now. Mix and turn off stove. Let it cool down.
  5. Grind all ingredients together with Salt, to smooth powder. 
  6.  Mix powder with oil and serve with Idli, Dosa or Serve as it is with steaming hot Rice and Ghee.


Tips:
  • I added little spice as I plan to give it to kids. You can add more red Chillies if you prefer .
  • Add more flax seeds or omit as per your preference. 
  • Adding coconut is optional.I have added this for more nutrition.
  • You can add a piece of garlic optionally while grinding. 



2 comments :

  1. Looks like a superfood recipe. I have heard about its health benefits. I will try this Munagaku Karam Podi this weekend. The imagination of eating it with hot rice and ghee makes my mouth watering. Thank You.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is indeed a super food.This year I grew my own drumstick plant and used the leaves in this recipe several times.

      Delete