I love gardening. That's my another passion next to cooking. In Texas weather we need to plant veggies every year as they don't survive winter. This year I have planted Beans, Broad beans (Chikkudukaya) , Gongura (Red Sorrel) and Bottle gourd (Opo Squash/Lauki/Dudhi) in my Garden. So far I have been getting good amounts of Beans and Red Sorrel. Do check my Beans Paruppu Usili recipe from my recent harvest. By the time I posted this recipe I have also harvested the first of my Broad beans (Broad beans).
This is my first time planting Bottle gourd. I was excited to see the first Baby Squash on the plant. With in no time It's gotten bigger, longer. And I have a huge Sorakaya on my hands. This is one recipe I tried with that along with few other. I hope to post the rest of recipes soon.
Perugu Potlakaya (Snakegourd in yogurt gravy) is a common Telugu recipe. I have replicated that recipe with Bottle gourd. This recipe is a great summer cooler. It pairs well with Rice and a fry on the side. I also enjoy this with my KarapuAppalu (spicy Rice flour roti). You can even have it with Aloo Paratha or any other Paratha. The combo is yum.
The yogurt gravy recipe is similar to Kannada recipe Tambuli . Yogurt is seasoned with green chili-coconut paste. Tambuli is usually made plain or flavored with spinach, Curry leaves etc.
Serve the Perugu Sorakaya with Rice and Beans Paruppu Usili /Baked Dondakaya (Ivy gourd) fry/ Spinach Chutney and some crunchies on the side. It also pairs with Karapu appalu, fried Rice flour Roti, a Telangana delicacy.
Servings: Four (4)
Total time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml):
- 2 cups Chopped Sorakaya
- 2 cups Yogurt
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut pieces
- 1 Serrano chili
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 tbsp oil
- Mustard seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Few Curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp Hing/Inguva
- 1 Crushed garlic
- Pinch of Turmeric
- 1 red chilli
Perugu Sorakaya Recipe
- Chop Sorakaya (Bottle gourd/Dudhi) into small pieces.
- Take the pieces in Microwave safe bowl. Add water. Add little salt. Microwave 8-10 minutes. Squash pieces will turn color and become soft. Let em cool. You can boil on stove top too.
- Beat Yogurt smooth. Add little water if Yogurt is thick. Store bought yogurt needs more water.
- Grind 2 tbsp coconut pieces, 1-2 Serrano Chilli, 1 inch piece of ginger to smooth paste.
- Add ground paste and Salt to yogurt. Mix.
- Add Boiled Sorakaya pieces to Yogurt .
- Prepare Seasoning; heat 2 tbsp oil, add mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, let em splutter. Add crushed garlic. Add chopped Curry leaves, coriander leaves, hing. Fry.
- Add seasoning to Yogurt mixture.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves.
- Mix well and Serve.
- To the same gravy you can add cooked Snake gourd instead Bottle gourd.
- Add spice according to your taste.
- Chopped chillies can be added instead paste.
- You can also use the plain Yogurt gravy as a side with Rice.