Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » , » Multigrain Veggi Crepes( Multigrain Atlu/Dosa): From Jowar ,wheat flour; no fermentation

Multigrain Veggi Crepes( Multigrain Atlu/Dosa): From Jowar ,wheat flour; no fermentation

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 | 12:52 PM


Crepes otherwise in Telugu called Atlu are made with flour mixed with water and spices. Then they are spread thin on a pan and cooked with oil. The typical crepes are made with rice flour made into a runny batter using water and sometimes using yoghurt/Perugu( Sour crepes/ Pullatlu). To give it a healthy twist I made these with Jowar/Juwar flour ( Jonna Pindi/ Millet flour) mixed with wheat flour/Atta (Godhuma Pindi).

Since millet flour does not contain gluten, the binding substance in flours, it breaks easily if you use it alone. For that reason I mixed it with wheat flour. When I first used millet flour to make rotis  (Jonna rotte) they keep breaking. Then my mom suggested me to mix in some wheat flour and use. At home my family uses freshly milled Jowar flour which has whole wheat mixed in, while grinding process. 

These Atlu are so healthy and nutritious.I make these at least once a week for my kids as they are quick to make. These are great for kids lunch box. I pack em along with fruit of his choice and some protein like cheese or egg.  These crepes can be served with any chutney or even with pickles. For my kids though I feed em with peanut powder. To pack in lunchbox I drizzle em with peanut powder while hot , fold crepe and make bite size pieces. You can feed little kids by mashing em up in warm milk. I do this with my Tot as he takes painfully long time to chew every bite :-(. Also this way I give him a serving of milk. One shot , two birds :-).


Nutrition: Jowar or jonnalu, also called Sorghum is rich in proteins along with carbs.I would call it a super grain which would compete with Quinoa.It is also rich in Iron,calcium and fiber.Also it is gluten free.Also known to lower cholestrol. You can use Jowar as grain and also as a flour.In india you can also find Jonna rava (Cream of Jowar) which can be used to make Upma.

The recipe given below is for little ones. If you are doing it for adults, make little changes like adding green chili paste, chopped onions. You can keep or omit veggies.


Servings:
Yields 4-5 crepes
Total time:
20 minutes
Category:
Breakfast/Tiffins, Kidzbites
Author:
Praveena Gudipati

Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml)
1/2 cup Jowar flour/Sorghum flour ( Jonna Pindi)
1/4 cup wheat flour/Atta  (Godhuma Pindi)
1 carrot grated
3 tablespoons chopped spinach 
1/4 teaspoon cumin (Jeera)
1/4 teaspoon sesame (Til/Nuvvulu)
Salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder or as per your taste
Water as required
2teaspoon oil for each crepe


Multigrain Atlu step-by-step Recipe with Photos


  1. Grate carrot using cheese grater.Chop spinach finely.
  2. Mix all the ingredients except water in a mixing bowl.Add enough salt.Stir nicely 


  3. Add water gradually to make thin batter.I used about 1 cup water. 
  4. Heat a pan and keep it on medium flame. On my induction I made em on '6' number.
  5. Take a bowl or small cup like I used. Mix batter with cup and fill in. 
  6. Now pour batter on the pan starting in the center and going around in circles. You will see holes appearing in the crepe, like a lace, which is how it should look.If it doesn’t appear, the batter might be thick or pan might not be hot enough.
  7. Now top the crepe with 2 teaspoon oil or more if required.
  8. Cook on medium flame for 4-5 minutes. The bottom should be nicely browned.If not the crepe would fall apart.
  9. Flip it and cook for a minute or two. Rice flour crepes are cooked on one side only but these crepes are thicker/denser than rice flour crepes so I like to cook em on both sides.Also it gives em little crunch.
  10. Remove crepes into a serving plate.
  11. serve with chutney or pickle of your choice.
  12. For lunch box drizzle with peanut powder and pack along with a fruit and string cheese.


Tips: 

  • If the batter is too thin ,simply add more flour.
  • If crepes are breaking add little wheat flour


Related Recipes:



0 comments :

Post a Comment