Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » » Tomato Charu/Tomato Rasam: Telugu Version

Tomato Charu/Tomato Rasam: Telugu Version

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Sunday, June 7, 2015 | 10:30 PM

Charu or Rasam is a liquid preparation that is usually had with Rice.One of the key component in the prep is Tamarind.It is then called Charu/ Chintapandu Charu. If tomato is used along with tamarind its called tomato Charu/tomato rasam. Other usual varieties are Raw mango Charu, Lemon Charu etc. I make Charu with Lentil stock which is super yummy. So far this is my first recipe of Charu/Rasam on the blog.

Today I made fresh batch of Charu Powder which is my Mom's recipe. She handed me down the recipe when I was coming to US and I still follow it. I have used store bought Rasam powders once in a while but this is the best.

Nothing beats the fresh Aroma and flavors of home made Masalas.Check Charu Podi/Rasam powder recipe on my blog.


Once I was done making Charu Podi I made Tomato Charu which is a daily affair at home as we need to have one kind of Charu along with Rice. Also if you have little kids it's really helpful. Mash the rice and mix tomato Charu. It's tangy, teeny spicy flavors are enjoyed by little kids. Also it helps them swallow their food easily. The other important factor is Charu/Rasam aids in digestion. When some one at home is suffering from Fever it is a common ritual to give them Rice and Charu in Telugu households as it can be easily digested.

Charu/Tomato Charu usually served along Rice and a fry/Stir fry/Poriyal. Try my Potato stir fry or Anaheim chilli mung dal curry along with this recipe.Totally yummilicious.


One of the ingredient in Tomato Charu is dry coconut flakes/powder. But some how I do not like it so I don't use it. Also my Charu podi recipe is moderately spicy since I keep kids in my mind. You can add some more pepper powder when Charu is done for more spicyness.

Servings:
Four (4)
Total time:
20 minutes
Category:
Rasam/Sambar
Author:
Praveena Gudipati

Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml)
2.5-3 cups water 
1 big Tomato
1 inch tamarind or enough
1 inch ginger
2 garlic cloves
few curry leaves
coriander leaves
salt to taste
1/4 tsp pepper powder (optional)
Mustard seeds
Cumin seeds
2 red chillies (Optional)
2 tbsp grated  dry coconut 
1.5-2 tbsp Charu Podi/Rasam Powder (My recipe)


Tomato Charu/Tomato Rasam step-by-step Recipe with Photos


  1. Heat a vessel and take 2 tbsp oil in it.
  2. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they splutter add curry leaves and red chillies. 
  3. Add ginger garlic paste and cook for 30 sec.
  4. Add tomatoes and stir. Cook till tomatoes are completely soft.
  5. Add water to the vessel.
  6. Add salt to taste, pinch of turmeric, 2 tbsp Charu powder. Add 1/4 tsp pepper powder optionally.
  7. Let Charu boil till oil floats on top.

  8. Add grated coconut and coriander leaves.
  9. Turn off the stove.
  10. Serve with Rice and Boondi on  side.



Related Recipes:



0 comments :

Post a Comment