Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » , » Beetroot Poriyal (Beetroot Stir fry)

Beetroot Poriyal (Beetroot Stir fry)

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 | 12:06 PM





Poriyal as it is called in Tamil or stir fried vegetable preparation is a healthy way of eating vegetables. The first time I tasted it was at a friend's place where she served Beans poriyal along with Rasam. It was a simple looking meal but super delicious. Since then it became one of my regular recipes.

I'm not a big fan of beetroot. Rarely I would cook it. I like the taste but the color and the smell while cooking are not my favorite part. Since it’s been while I cooked em, I got these red tubers from grocery store and my next thought was making Poriyal. Also made Rasam along with it. The meal was fingerlickin good.

The simple trick to get a great texture to the Poriyal is I use a non stick wide pan and while cooking I would cover the pan and keep stove on medium flame. I do not sprinkle any water. This way Beetroot would cook fast and still get stir fried texture. Do not forget to stir though.Look at my photos and you would see the texture of a fry. Yum!


I have used chilli powder in this recipe as it goes with the color of Beetroot😃 but you can also use green chilli paste. Another important ingredient here is Grated fresh coconut. Of course I used frozen coconut as I always keep it handy.



Servings:
Four (4)
Total time:
30 minutes
Category:
Vegetables, stirfry
Author:
Praveena Gudipati

Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml)

  • 1.5-2 Beetroot
  • 1/4 cup Grated fresh/Frozen coconut
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tbsp chilli powder or 5-6 green chillies
  • Mustard Seeds
  • Cumin Seeds
  • Urad dal


Beetroot Poriyal step-by-step Recipe 


  1. Chop 2 beetroot to small cubes.The beetroots I got were Big.
  2. Heat a wide frying pan and take 2 tablespoons oil.
  3. Add mustard seeds, cuminseeds and Urad dal to it. When the seeds splutter add chopped beetroot pieces to it.
  4. Keep the stove on medium heat and stir in between.
  5. After few minutes add salt, turmeric. Stir.
  6. Now cover the pan and stir in between. Keep stove on medium flame.This way beetroot would cook fast, at the same time it would have texture of stir fry. 
  7. Cook till beetroot is soft. Mine took about 15 minutes for.
  8. Add chilli powder or green chilli paste. I added chill powder as it blends with Beetroot color.
  9. Add grated fresh or frozen coconut and turn off the stove.
  10. Serve Beetroot Poriyal with Rice and Rasam.


Related Recipes:



0 comments :

Post a Comment