Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » » Veggie and Cheese Quesadilla

Veggie and Cheese Quesadilla

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Monday, July 13, 2015 | 11:30 AM

This is my first Mexican recipe on the blog.I love Mexican food. Tostadas, Cheesy Enchiladas, Chile Relleno etc.My son loves Tacos.His recent favorite is Quesadilla especially cheese variety . Now you know why the recipe appeared on the blog.

When I was doing my Masters in UC Irvine, we have this cafeteria which is closer to my Department. As a vegetarian there are only two choices for me, Pizza, Cheese quesadilla. Of course they do have a salad bar.But I never considered it as food, at least not as main entree :-), no offense salad lovers. Anyway I used to pick Pizza most of the times and savor it with Ranch from salad bar. Pizza and Ranch are great combo.Have you ever tried it.if not you should. In fact I love ranch in and on everything. I should try making Ranch Pizza, may be pretty soon you will see that recipe on the blog. So, when I get bored with that combo my next stop is quesadilla. They used to serve only Cheese quesadilla there, no veggi version.But Cheese quesadilla is my least favorite. Still I gotta eat something so I used to go for it.I like Veggie Quesadilla though.The cook used to make em right in front of you and I have seen it many times. Making em today and writing the recipe down is bringing back those memories. Today my son wanted to have Cheese quesadilla and me voted for Veggie so I made both. Pick the one you want or try both and see which one you like the most.

Today I have used Asparagus, spinach, Zucchini in my Quesadilla. Also I used baby spinach, onion.Lots of green veggies :-). you can substitute these with your favorite veggies.Green bell pepper goes well with the recipe but today I do not have em on hand.Also you can add Mushroom, corn or anything you like. For cheese I used Mexican cheese blend by Sargento.Coz thats what my son wants. You can use shredded montery jack too.You can serve em with Salsa or hot sauce on the side. I have served em with chunky Guacamole today. And anotger memory comes back to my mind, the hot sauce they used to give with quesadilla in the cafeteria :-).I even remember the taste of it.  Memories which were buried somewhere underneath in your brain gets kick started with a hint of thought going in that direction:-) Lol!

The Cheese quesadillas were cheesy good but you gotta have em while still hot. The Veggi Quesadilla were so yummy with veggies still being retained some crunch. The  guacomole was simply prepared by mixing chopped Avocado, chopped tomato,salt, pepper and lemon juice. I ate it on the side. I have given two ways to prepare Quesadillas. Follow which ever you like. Also you can use whole wheat or any other Tortillas for this recipe.One more thing I always want to say this, when I mention onions quantity,pls keep in mind in US the onions are huge.


Servings:
Two (2)
Total time:
20 minutes
Category:
Main Course
Author:
Praveena Gudipati

Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml)
For Cheese Quesadilla:
Mexican blend cheese (I used Sargento)
Flour Tortilla or Whole wheat tortilla (I used Fajita size flour Tortilla)

For Veggi Quesadilla:
8 Flour or Whole wheat (I used Fajita size flour Tortilla)
1 Zucchini
1 Tomato
8-10 stems of Asparagus
1/4 of big Onion
1/4 cup Baby Spinach
Mexican Cheese blend

For Guacamole:
1 Avocado
1 Roma tomato
little salt 
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp lemon juice or adjust


Veggie and Cheese Quesadilla step-by-step Recipe with Photos


  • Chop Zucchini, onion into medium size pieces about 1/2 inch.Since I got small tortilla, I chopped veggies small. Also small pieces cook faster.
  • If you are using bigger Tortilla you can chop bigger pieces. You can also julienne them.
  • Chop Asparagus into small pieces leaving off the fibrous part of the stem which is usually the last 1/3 part.
  • Cut tomato into half.Scoop out the seed part.This way they will not make Tortilla saggy.Chop Tomatoes into medium pieces. Keep aside. I'm gonna use raw tomatoes.
  • Heat a pan and add 2 teaspoon oil to it.
  • Add chopped veggies except Tomatoes. Sauté for 8 minutes or till veggies turn soft.Add whole Spinach  leaves 2 minutes before veggies are done.Mix.Turn off stove.The veggies will be softened at this point but not completely cooked.


  • Take cooked veggies into a bowl.
  • Keep tomato pieces in another bowl.
  • Keep cheese handy.

Cheese Quesadilla :

  • Heat a Griddle. Keep it in low flame.
  • Place Flour Tortilla on the pan. 
  • Sprinkle Cheese on Tortilla enough to cover it n a thick layer.
  • Place another Tortilla on top.
  • Cook for a minute.Press the tortilla with spoon so the two will stick. 
  • Flip it and cook for a minute.
  • Remove from pan and cut it into pieces with a Pizza cutter.
  • Serve with Salsa, Hot sauce or Guacamole.

Veggie Quesadilla:
  • Heat a Griddle. Keep it in low flame.
  • Place Flour Tortilla on the pan. 
  • Sprinkle Cheese on Tortilla enough to cover it n a thin layer.
  • Top it with sautéed veggies.Also place chopped tomatoes. You can add more veggies if you wish but I do not want to over crowd or over power Tortilla with Veggies.
  • Top the veggies with more cheese.
  • Place another Tortilla on top.
  • Cook for a minute.Press the tortilla slightly so the ends come together and stick.
  • Flip it and cook for a minute.
  • Remove from pan and cut it into pieces with a Pizza cutter.
  • Serve with Salsa, Hot sauce or Guacamole.

Alternative Method:
  • Heat a Griddle. Keep it in low flame.
  • Place Flour Tortilla on the pan. 
  • Sprinkle generous amount of cheese only covering half of tortilla.
  • Top with Veggies for Veggi quesadilla.
  • Sprinkle thin layer of cheese.
  • Fold the other half on to the cheese so as to make a half moon shape.
  • Take off the pan, Cut and serve.
Guacamole:
  • Cut a ripened Avocado around, in the middle.There is a big seed in the middle so you can't cut thru.Now pull open both halves. Scoop out Avocado into a bowl and mash it with the spoon. 
  • Chop a tomato finely.Add to Avocado.
  • Add Salt, Pepper and lemon juice.
  • Mix well.Serve on the side.







0 comments :

Post a Comment