Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » , » Ragi Poha Dosa ( Ragi Atukula Dosa)

Ragi Poha Dosa ( Ragi Atukula Dosa)

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Wednesday, July 1, 2015 | 4:26 PM



Ragi/Finger millet/Ragulu are very healthy as they are rich in proteins, Iron and fiber along with Carbs.In a modern world where everything is eaten polished,bleached or processed, going back to our roots and following old ways might open doors to healthy life style. This does not mean you can not experience new foods. That's where Veggibites steps in. You can use these old time ingredients and re create recipes which is exactly what I love to do. So all you have to do give a try and follow these healthy recipes.

You can find many healthy recipes on Veggibites. Oats Dosa, Quinoa Dosa, Jowar(Jonna/Cholam) Dosa, Cracked wheat Lemon rice... the list is big :-). Click here to find lots of healthy recipes . And as I keep trying more, I will update recipes. So keep checking the blog for more healthy recipes.

 As part of my daily routine, I was in my morning call with my mom and she mentioned that she made these Dosa. She said they were really tasty and I should give a try. She usually makes Poha Dosa using Poha (Atukulu/Flattened Rice) and Rice. Poha will be soaked in Yogurt for this recipe. I love these Poha Dosa.The yogurt gives a tang which makes em yummy. But this time when she made these she substituted part rice with Ragulu( finger millet) to give a healthy twist :-). Sounds familiar right. Where do you think I get these ideas ;-).

So I followed her recipe with a small change. Instead white rice I used Brown Rice. Brown rice is unpolished and still contains all vitamins and fiber. It is a healthy alternative to white rice. Fiber rich foods are supposed to be diabetic friendly too.

The Poha used in this recipe are Thin Poha from Indian store.

My mom used Ragulu as whole in this recipe but since they aren't available here I used Ragi flour from Indian store.You can use which ever you can get. I will mention quantities in my recipe.

These Dosa taste well with any chutney of your choice. I had em with ginger chutney. In fact I loved em with out dip as I already mixed ginger and green chillies in the batter.You can also have em with Peanut Chutney, Onion Chutney, tomato chutney or any pickle or even Sambar. The Dosas were lil tangy,lil spicy. These Dosa can be made thicker or thin. I liked both ways. I made spongy Dosa and  I sprinkled onions on top of Dosa as they add some crunch. You can also sprinkle some grated carrot which I did not do this time since I ran out of carrots:-(.

And finally, my Kids loved these Dosa.

Servings:
Four (4)
Total time:
14 hours(Including soaking time)
Category:
Breakfast/Tiffins
Author:
Praveena Gudipati

Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml)
1 cup Thin Poha ( Flattened Rice/Aval/Atukulu)
1 cup Brown Rice or White Rice
3/4 Cup Ragi( Finger millet) flour or 1 cup Ragi whole( Ragulu)
4-5 green chillies or adjust
2 inch ginger
Salt to taste
1/2 onion finely chopped
1 carrot grated finely (Optional)
Oil as needed to make Dosa

Ragi Poha Dosa ( Ragi Atukula Dosa) Recipe



  1. Soak 1 cup Brown rice or white rice overnight.

  2.  If you are using whole grain Ragi soak em overnight.If you are using flour skip this step.
  3. In the morning Soak 1 cup Thin Poha in enough Yogurt for 1/2 ht.  I used about 2.5 cups. If you do not have Thin poha use Thick Poha but they need to be soaked longer. 

  4. Now blend Rice, Ragulu( whole grain), chopped green chillies, chopped ginger together to smooth batter.
  5. When  Rice is almost done add soaked Poha and blend again. You can add Poha in the beginning too. Since soaked poha is soft it doesn't take much time to blend.
  6. Now the Poha Rice batter is ready. If you are using Ragi flour now is the time to add it to the batter.
  7. Add Ragi flour and mix well.



  8. If the batter is thick add water to adjust consistency. 
  9. Now heat a pan and rub with oil.
  10. Take a ladle full of batter on to the center of the pan.
  11. Spread it in concentric circles just like Dosa. Spread thick or thin to get spongy or crispy Dosa.Both tastes good. Top with onions optionally. I spread it thick in below pic.



  12. Top Dosa with fonely chopped onions, grated carrot. Top Dosa with a teaspoon of oil.
  13. Let it cook on medium flame till bottom is browned.
  14. Flip Dosa and cook for a minute. Fipping would be better to ensure cooking completely. For thin Dosa, no need to flip.
  15. Take em off the pan and serve with chutney of your choice.

  16. Repeat till the batter is done. Left over batter can be stored in refrigerator for few days.Below pic shows thin, crispy Dosa.

Tips:
  • Adjust thickness of Dosa per your preference.
  • If Dosa are breaking, spread em thicker.
Related Recipes:

0 comments :

Post a Comment