Pulusu is a South Indian gravy side dish usually served with Rice. It's tangy, spicy and slightly sweet. It is usually made with a vegetable paired with tamarind extract for sour taste , chillies powder for spice and sugar/Jaggery for sweetness. Some veggies that can be used are Dudhi/Sorakaya, Pumpkin, Drumsticks, Arbi/Taro root, Okra (Bendakaya) etc. The unique combo of tamarind, spice and sweet flavors together makes the dish finger licking good. Do try my Egg pulusu recipe which is an Andhra delicacy where Eggs are cooked in this yummy gravy with little variation.
Sweet Potato pulusu is adapted from my usual family favorite Taro root/Arbi (Chema dumpa) pulusu. Only difference is, in Taro root Pulusu Sugar/Jaggery is added for sweetness. Since Sweet Potatoes are already sweet they are perfect for the recipe.
Sweet Potato is a tuber or root veggie that grows underground. You can find other root veggie recipes in my blog; Potato stir fry, Beetroot piriyal, Potato curry are few of em. Apart from pulusu , Sweet Potatoes can be consumed boiled. You can also make sweet Potato fries.
For the recipe today I have used Red sweet Potato but you can use any other variety.
Ingredients(I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml):
- 2 big red sweet potatoes or other variety
- Lime size Tamarind
- 3 Cups water
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Onion
- 3/4th tbsp Chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- Few curry leaves
Sweet Potato Pulusu Recipe
- Clean 2 big Sweet Potatoes with water. Take em in Pressure cooker with just enough water to cover em. Cook on medium flame for 2 whistles and turn off. They should be cooked but not mashy.
- open the cooker when Pressure is gone. Remove skin of Sweet Potatoes. Chop into big cubes. Keep em aside.
- Meanwhile soak lime size Tamarind in warm water.
- Chop 1/2 onion into small pieces.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, curry leaves. Let seeds splutter.
- Add chopped onions. Cook till transparent.
- Add tamarind extract, 1/4 tsp turmeric.
- Let it cook couple minutes.
- Add water to thin, salt to taste. Add 3/4 tbsp chilli powder and 1/2 tsp sugar/Jaggery. Adding sugar is optional and is required only the sweetness of Arbi is not enough
- Boil the gravy for 5 minutes or till oil is floating on top.
- Add chopped sweet potato. Mix and boil for few more minutes covered.
- Turn off.
- Serve with Rice, Papad.
- The curry tastes better the longer you wait, as the veggies soak up the gravy.
- You can make this recipe with Taro root, Drumstick .
- Adjust sweet and spice accordingly.