Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » » DIY Bench Cushion - Dream Home Projects

DIY Bench Cushion - Dream Home Projects

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Friday, April 6, 2018 | 12:01 PM


What makes a House Home, apart from owning it? Filling the home with beautiful memories is one and personalizing it with your own style is another. It's your home and one of the perks of owning a home is freak out and decorate it with your own style:-). At the same time you will be overwhelmed by so many ideas if you have a creative gene like me;-).

Here are few tips to achieve your dream home looks like it's fallen from your dreams:

1. Walking thru your home, when a idea clicks you, note it down whether how crazy it might sound:-). I have used my Iphone 6 to the fullest during my home construction. I used to note down what I would like to do with a particular area.
Ex: Make a photo wall here.
Teal color theme for formal dining
Floral Stencil wall for guest room

2. If you do not know how to do that project or in need of ideas, surf thru web. I love Google, Pinterest n YouTube. They are my helpers during this journey. I used to pin all possible ideas to my board.
Here is my Pinterest page for some ideas. You can follow my recipes as well as home deco ideas by clicking the link:

https://www.pinterest.com/Veggibites/
3. Choose a color or theme for a room as soon as possible. It helps you find stuff for cheap if you have enough time.There are many stores and online sites. Their websites let you make a shopping list n save it. I Love Amazon, Wayfair for shopping. Infact I shopped a lot on those sites. By the way their customer service is great too. 


4.Stick to one project at a time. Make a list of things, buy and complete the project before going to the next one. 

5. Most important, all these projects take time and patience. At the end they will pay off with satisfaction, personalization and appreciation which are invaluable.




Project: Oh so comfy Breakfast Bench Cushions

Now lets proceed to my first project. I Have a huge breakfast bench in my Kitchen nook. I wanted to make custom seat for that bench. Even though the idea is mine, my husband is the one who executed this project. Team work paid off very well. Got lots of appreciation during my house warming party and none guessed that it's DIY. Also it's our most favorite spot in the home. Believe me, once guests settle down here, they don't want to get up and we spend lot of time here. it's our dining area, reading , relaxing , all time favorite. I took this pic even before moving into our new home so no dining table was there:-). 
And here is the updated pic.


Materials Required:
(The cost reflects for 3 Cushions of each 72 in/22in) , Yes it's a huge bench.

1. Upholstery Foam Cushion ,3 inch thick, 3 pieces -$75
2. Upholstery Fabric-$70
3. Spray Glue Adhesive-$6
4. Electric bread knife-$12
5. Staple Gun-$ 12
6. 1/4 th inch thick Plywood/Luan-$30
Other stuff like Scissors, Measuring Tape , Staples, pencil.

Total Project time 
3 hrs time, may be less with no lil cute monsters running around.


Project
The huge L shaped bench I have is about 12 ft on one side and about 6 ft on the other side so I have decided to make 3 seats of 6 ft each for the convenience of making and based on foam sizes available.In fact it was my Husband's idea as he is the one executed this project for most of the part.




1. 1. Measure Bench Length and width.
Ex: My Bench has 71 inches length 22 inches width on shorter side.

2.Cut plywood/Luan to the same size.
I got luan from home depot. I did not get the desired measurements so i got it cut. It cost me 30 bucks total. So the final luan size will be 71 in/22 in, 3 pieces. 



3. Cut foam to the same size. Leave a tad bit more than plywood sheet.




  • I bought foam online for $25 a piece for the size of 72in/24in.It is 3 inch foam and really good quality. It is slightly bigger than the required size.
  • (By the time I'm  posting, I have been using this bench for over 2 years. The seat/foam is sooooo comfy still). 
  • Measure and mark foam with a pencil and cut it with Electric Knife. When we went to buy fabric from the store, the lady in the store was cutting foam for some one and she advised us to get Electric Knife to cut foam.
4.Adhere Foam to Plywood sheet




  • Follow instructions on the adhesive bottle.Spray the adhesive in a open ventilated area on to the Foam. Lie it on Plywood sheet. Apply some pressure on top. Leave it aside. Do it with all Foam pieces if you are making more cushions.

5. Measure and Cut Fabric


  • For 3 cushions, I bought 7 yards of Fabric (21 Ft). The cloth is 54 inch width. I have some cloth left from width. Probably using for another Project.
  • Fabric Length: Length of the bench+ Foam depth x 2+6 inches to staple to the wood.
  • 71+6+6= 83 inches
  • Width: Width of the bench+Foam depth x 2+ 6 inches to staple
  • 22+6+6= 34 inches
  • I cut fabric to 83/34. You can cut it more but not less.

6. Staple Fabric to the plywood sheet.


  • Lay cloth on the floor right side facing down. Check picture
  • Place foam, plywood sheet on top of the fabric. So plywood is on top.
  • Now pull the fabric sides on to the plywood and staple. Make sure you are pulling tight. 
  • Fold corners like shown in picture.

  • Flip it and TaDa Your custom bench seat is done.




like the project, Follow my Facebook for faster updates as soon as i post these fun projects.


Project : Wall painting and  Stencil
Will update soon :-)

2 comments :

  1. So creative. Only question I have is, if you want to wash the cloth how can we do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can remove staples and wash but honestly it won't get dirty easily. It's like how you would use a chair cushion or sofa which you won't wash.

      Delete