Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » , » Oatmeal Apple Cereal- Tot's/lil Kids Breakfast

Oatmeal Apple Cereal- Tot's/lil Kids Breakfast

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Wednesday, September 2, 2015 | 1:51 PM


I prefer to feed home made foods for my Kids as much as I can. When they were Babies I used to make home made multigrain cereal. I used to give it to them till they pass the Tots stage, twice a day mixed with various veggies. By the time I started this blog I wasn't making it any more. Probably I will make a small batch one day and share with all you Moms. 

Coming to this recipe, My elder one never liked Oatmeal, just like me:-). So for the lil one I decided to give it one way or other. Luckily with no effort he liked Oatmeal and it's one of his favorite breakfast. During his Tot stage I used to give him quick oats a lot for the breakfast. I used to mix boiled and mashed Apples( Apple sauce) to Oat meal coz he likes Apples ( Definitely not my type :-). Another way I prefer is, mix oats with milk. This gives him extra protein and calcium he needs. 

Quick oats are pre steamed and cook fast. Can be Microwaved. Contain lil less fiber than Old fashoned, steel cut oats. The later are less processed and stove top cooking is preferred. Even though old fashioned oats are my preferred choice, for the convenience of making a quick breakfast and also for a smoother texture I use quick oats. I also carry old fashioned oats and use it make Oats Kichidi, Oats pongal for my Kid's lunch n breakfast. 

Nutrition: Oats are rich in fiber. Fiber helps lower bad cholesterol, helps with digestion,  Prevents constipation which is a common problem in little kids. 
Oats are rich Carbohydrate source which provide the energy. Also they are rich Protein source too.Feed lil kids oatmeal with Milk to provide extra protein and a boost of Calcium. Oats carry good amount of folate and  Iron too. 
Oats carry soluble fiber which stays in the stomach for long and makes you feel full for long. So it is a great choice for weight loss seekers instead relying on crazy diets. 


I have Pressure cooked the Apples which is a faster and healthier way.Pressure cooking retains nutrients in the food.I used quick oats for smoother texture but if you prefer you can use old fashioned oats too. Use any apples of your choice. I usually carry Fuji apples, golden delicious or Gala apples and thats what I use in it.

Servings:
One(1)
Total time:
20 minutes
Category:
Breakfast, Kidzbites
Author:
Praveena Gudipati

Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml)
1 Apple 
1 1/2 cup water 
1/2 cup Quick Oats 

Oatmeal Apple Cereal Step-by-Step Recipe with Photos


  1. Clean and peel the Apple.Chop into cubes.
  2. Take the pieces in a pressure cooker with 1/2 cup water.
  3. Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
  4. Take 1/2 cup quick oats in a bowl and add 1 cup water. Microwave for a minute, stir and keep it aside.
  5. When the pressure is gone open cooker.
  6. If there is extra water in the cooker add this to oatmeal.
  7. Now  mash pieces with a spoon or potato masher to smooth puree. I usually do it with spoon.
  8. Add the puree to oatmeal and stir.


  9. Add water if necessary.


Tips: 

  • You can use more or less ingredients as per your requirements.

Related Recipes:

  • Cracked wheat Pongal
  • Cheesy Bread bowls
  • Stuffed Bread rolls

0 comments :

Post a Comment