Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » , » Badam Semiya Delight (Almond Vermicelli Delight)

Badam Semiya Delight (Almond Vermicelli Delight)

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Tuesday, December 9, 2014 | 10:01 PM

I call it a desert remix ;-)  as the recipe is created from two of my other desert recipes together; Badam kheer and vermicelli kheer. I wanted to call it 'badam vermicelli kheer' but then I wanted a unique name as this is a unique recipe. Kheer is one of the easiest, famous  Indian  desert that can be made very tasty if you use the ingredients in right proportion. Kheer was the first desert I learned to make. 

My family has a spicy palette including my 'tot'.We have few favorite deserts we savor and this is one of them.Few other sweets we like are Ras malai, Kaju Barfi. This desert is so popular among my friends. Once tasted, everyone was asking me for the recipe. So here it is on my blog finally.

Vermicelli or Semiya/sevian is a wheat derivative and a high calorie food. Milk, I would call wholesome for it has little bit of everything.Almonds are good protein,good fat source and are known to elevate good fats in blood. Overall its a yummy desert :-) .

This Badam vermicelli delight is something I created out of boredom. I make kheer for almost all festivals and few other occasions. One day I wanted to give a twist to it so I added powdered almonds to it ( Desert Remix:-)). I had a guest that day and he loved it so much. This recipe has little changes to make it even more n more better.I used whole milk in this dessert.This is a milk based dessert so to get full flavors I would prefer whole milk.But you can use 2% if you don't mine to sacrifice some taste. I always use brown sugar. No more white sugar at my home so one less thing to worry about. I use a specific brand of brown sugar which has a crystal structure and doesn't taste like Bellam(Jaggery).Wouldn't substitute this for anything.I used Indian Ghee in this dessert but it can be substituted with unsalted butter.
My  thumb rule is if you are making this for a party go with full flavors. 


Servings:
Four (4)
Total time:
45-50 minutes
Category:
Deserts
Author:
Praveena Gudipati

Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml)
2.5 cups whole milk 
4 tablespoon milk for almond paste 
1/4 cup badam soaked In warm water for 20 min
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
2 Elaichi
1/2 cup vermicelli/semiya
4 tablespoon Dry fruits(Cashew,Almond,Pista) pieces for garnishing 
3 tablespoon ghee



Almond Vermicelli delight step-by-step Recipe with Photos

  1. Take 1/4 cup Almonds. Soak them in hot water for at least  20 minutes.
  2.  During this time you can start on other steps.If you do everything parallel it would save lot of time.
  3. Put the milk for heating in a big vessel.Add sugar. Add powdered Elaichi.

  4. While milk is heating up do the following:
  5. Take 1 teaspoon ghee in a pan and roast vermicelli on medium flame to a nice brown color.I used MTR roasted vermicelli. Roasting the semiya would give a nice consistency by keeping the samiya from sticking together.Keep the roasted semiya in a bowl.
  6. Take cashews, almonds, pistachios and cut them into pieces.take about 4 tablespoons of cut dry fruits.I like small pieces in my Kheer as I would like some crunch in my every bite. But you can use whole too.
  7. In the same pan take little ghee and fry these dry fruits. I used pre dry roasted dry fruits.
  8. When the milk boils,add vermicelli. stir it.Turn down the flame and stir the milk in between. 
  9. While the semiya is cooking:
  10.  Peel off the skin from almonds. 
  11. Grind the Almonds using little bit cold milk to a smooth paste.Keep it aside.
  12. When vermicelli is cooked add almond paste and rest of the ghee to milk. You will know whether vermicelli is cooked by holding it in the spoon.If its cooked it would bend and slide smoothly. If not cooked they are more straight. 
  13. Keep stirring the milk till you see milk getting  thicker.Turn off the stove and decorate it with dry fruits.This can be served hot or cold. 
  14. I prefer it cold. When the Kheer is cold it gets little thicker means it comes to the desired consistency.
  15. If you are planning to serve it hot boil little longer till you see thicker Kheer similar to condensed milk consistency. 

Tips: 

  • Add more or less sugar based on your preference.
  • If the sweet gets thicker than your preference, simply add little milk and microwave. 
  • You can make it the day before for a party and refrigerate.
  • Soak few stands of saffron in warm milk ,then add it to the desert for a nice color.

Related Recipes:

  • Badam kheer
  • Vermicelli Kheer
  • Saggubiyyam payasam (Sago Kheer)
  • Oats Payasam (Oats Kheer)
  • Annam Payasam or paramaannam (Rice Kheer)
  • Vundralla Payasam (Modak Sweet)


0 comments :

Post a Comment