Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » » Kids Snack Ideas for school

Kids Snack Ideas for school

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Monday, December 15, 2014 | 8:15 PM

Whats going in your Kids snack box/Lunch sides?



Packing lunch box for a kid is a big chore as you are trying to give a wholesome meal and making sure it's tasty and kid approved. But trying to pack snacks is even tougher.As kids tend more towards the sugary stuff or junk food it would be hard to decide between healthy vs kid's choice.

But I believe, as a kid if we try to teach them good eating habits it would turn them into the right direction of eating healthy food as they grow up. Like when they are hungry instead of giving regular chips give them baked potato chips or  baked pita chips.Even better offer them a fruit of their choice.If they have a sweet tooth instead offering a cup cake give em dates or a slice of apple with almond butter.

My son loves eating veggies and fruits. If not all of em, he has some favorites. Carrots and tomatoes are his favorite veggies. Sometimes when he is hungry he would just get a tomato from the refrigerator and eat. Weird for a 8 yr old ha! But he loves chips and candys like any other kid.


Anyways I thought of sharing some snack ideas which I usually pack for my son. I try to pack healthy  snacks, at the same time what i'm sharing here are my 'kid approved' :-).

I'm sharing snack ideas for a full week which you can pack in ziploc bags and keep em handy in a fridge or outside( based on the snack) for that whole week.In the morning when you are busy with all the chores, pack his lunch box and along with it grab a ziploc and pack. You can also use snack box too.These can be packed as lunch sides or to snack on at home.Will be posting more later.





1.Baked Snap pea crisps:


I usually buy em in organic stores.They are whole pea pods baked to crisp texture.So it gives em the satisfaction of eating something crunchy, at the same time its not fried chips. These are my Tot's favorite and mine too :-)

2. String Cheese:


There are many varieties available in stores. Mozzarella, cheddar even mixed flavors.You can even find a low fat variety. Find the one your kid likes.

3.Sugar snap peas:


Rich in vitamin c, Fiber ,B-complex vitamins, Iron.These crunchy sweet peas are really addictive.FYI The whole pod is edible.

4.Cuties:


Cuties/Clementines. Love em for their size and they are seedless,Easy to peel.Both my son's enjoy these.Rich in vitamin C and fiber.Watch out for little kids as they might choke on Fiber.

5.Grape/Heirloom tomatoes:


Since my son loves to eat tomatoes I buy these miniature tomatoes coz they are easy to pack in the lunch box and bite size.They have slightly different taste than tomatoes though but I like em.

6.Hard boiled Egg:


I make sure to give my son Egg, 3 times a week in the lunch, in some form like a omelette or hard boiled.you can also cut the hard boiled egg in half, sprinkle lightly with salt, chili powder or even chat masala.Refrigerate with shell.Remove shell before packing in lunch box.

7.Baby Carrots/Carrots:


Baby carrots are easy to snack on.Rich in Vitamin A.But for some reason my son loves regular carrots.So I just cut em small and pack as lunch sides.

8. Dry Fruits:


I always keep a big Jar of mixed dry fruits handy. Give my kids few every day whether to snack at home or in lunch box.Dry fruits are packed with proteins and good fats.I buy the roasted, no salt variety.Try to skip extra sodium where ever I can.










0 comments :

Post a Comment