Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » » Karappodi /Idli Karam (Spice Powder dip)

Karappodi /Idli Karam (Spice Powder dip)

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 | 1:18 PM


Karappodi (Idli Garam) is a spicy accompaniment to Idli, the popular South Indian breakfast. It is usually served along with Peanut Chutney. But it is versatile as it can be had with many other dishes. 

We have it with Multigrain Atlu, Upma, Dibbarotte, Utappam etc. We always have a jar of this spice powder on our breakfast table.Mix Karappodi  with melted Ghee/ oil and Tada your breakfast dip Is ready. When I'm making Dosas I drizzle this powder on Dosa and then serve it with Peanut chutney. This is our usual way of eating dosa. Also it can be had with steamin hot rice n Ghee( Clarified Butter). When you have a severe cold n everything tastes like card board:-),  eat Rice with Ghee n Karappodi. You will feel lot better. It gives a kick to the taste buds with all that spice. 


This Karappodi is my Mom's recipe. She makes it using dals, curry leaves, red chilli, spices. You can make this spicy powder couple different ways. With or without Tamarind. I prefer it without Tamarind as it goes well with many dishes. Some people, like my Aunt makes it using Tamarind which is also good. You can try both and stick to the one you like. Garlic cloves can be added to this spice powder optionlly. The way my Aunt adds em is shallow fry them without removing skins in oil and blend with rest of the ingredients. I haven't added garlic  as I followed my mom's recipe. 


For a long time my mom used to send me this powder from India. I used to think it's a complex job to make it. Finally one day I saw her making it when she came to US. She also put down this recipe for me to make my life easy, as she always does. Since then I made this powder many times, following that recipe.

I only adjusted salt in this recipe. I gave the salt quantity in the recipe as it's really important. But you can taste little powder with rice and add more if you have to.Also you can add more curry leaves in this recipe. It would add more curry leaf flavor, if you like it.This powder has a longer shelf life.it can stay fresh for months.Just remember to fry everything on low flame and don't burn anything. 



Total time:
25 minutes
Category:
Powders
Author:
Praveena Gudipati

Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml)
2 tbsp each-

  • Coriander seeds (Dhaniyalu)
  • Cumin seeds (Jeera)
  • Split Bengalgram (Senagapappu/Chanadal)
  • Whole Blackgram,no skin (Minapappu/Urad dal)
  • 2 tablespoon Salt
  • 50 gm red chillies
  • 1/2 cup curry leaves washed and dried
  • 1/4 th lemon size Tamarind (optional)
  • 3-4 garlic cloves( Optional)
  • 2 tablespoon oil




Karappodi /Idli Karam  step-by-step Recipe

  1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan.
  2. Add chanadal to the pan, fry it for a minute. Then add Urad dal. Once the dals are turned brown take them into a bowl.
  3. To the same pan add coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Fry em till they turn brown.fry on low flame.Take em out.
  4. Now take a tablespoon oil in the same pan and fry red chillies.When the chillies are almost done add curry leaves. 
  5. If you want to add garlic remove chillies,curry leaves.Take a teaspoon oil and fry the cloves with skin till they turn brown.
  6. Turn off the stove.
  7. Blend all the ingredients ,once they are at room temperature .You can add tamarind too, as small pieces.
  8. Blend to a fine powder.
  9. Savor it with any entree of your choice.
Update: When my Son developed a liking to this Powder, I modified it little bit by adding few red chillies and more of all the other ingredients. It turned out too good and less spicy. The only difference is color as it has less chillies. 


Tips: 
  • Clean curry leaves and dry em on a paper napkin so they will fry fast in oil and will not splutter.
  • You can add more tamarind if you like the powder to be tangy.


Related Recipes:
Do try my other Powder recipes which are very nutritious and protein rich


Serve these powders with Rice or 


0 comments :

Post a Comment