Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!

Dates and Nuts Delight

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Tuesday, February 6, 2018 | 1:38 PM




I'm a fan of quick recipes, especially dessert recipes. As my family doesn't have sweet tooth, I try 
to spend less time making em. Also I try to make these desserts as healthy as possible. During my
quest to find easy to make sweets, I tumbled upon this easy breezy Dates and nut delight. What's
so great about this is, there is absolutely no sugar in this recipe. I mean Dates are naturally sweet 
with sugars but at least it's not processed and comes with benefits.

Dates are rich in Iron which isgood for vegetarians. Dry fruits flow with good fats. The ghee 
required is minimal here. You can also make em with no ghee. I would say these make a great 
dessert or Perfect to pack in Kids snack box or after game snacks. Also easy to make in bulk 
during Diwali. In fact I made these during Diwali to share with my neighbors. 

One fine day , I received a package from Mom, from India. She sent me these sweets along with 
several other snacks. They were store bought. We liked em so I thought why not make it at home.
It took me couple trials to settle with the ingredients I liked.

Today I made these for a friend's baby shower. Quick and healthy sweets. I made these along with
my Microwave Kalakand (in 15 minutes) and packed these two for her. What’s better than 
presenting home made sweets to an expecting Mom. 

You can modify the recipe to your liking. Add any roasted dry fruits of your liking to the recipe.
You can add flax seed as whole or powdered form.Personally I would prefer powder.When you 
add Flax seed powder Its better to refrigerate them.You can add Raisins to for sweetness.In this
case reduce amount of Dates. You can also make em in shape of Ladoos.


Total Time:
20 minutes
Servings:
About 30 Pieces


Ingredients (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml):
  • 1 cup Chopped dates (I used Dates from Indian store)
  • 1/3 rd cup Chopped dry fruits (I used Cashews, Almonds,Walnuts)
  • 1 Tbsp Almond powder optionally  
  • 1 Tbsp Coconut Powder
  • 1 Tbsp melted ghee


Dates and nuts Delight Recipe

Take Ghee in a heated pan.
Roast chopped dry fruits till slightly browned . 

Chop dates into small pieces, about 1 inch. I used medjool dates from Indian store.Any other 
brand would work.

Heat Ghee in a pan. Vegans use oil.

Roast cashews,Almonds and walnuts in the oil. I have used pre roasted unsalted cashew from 
Costco. These are my fav.

Keep stove on low flame.Keep heat low.

Add chopped dates . I used pitted Medjool dates from Indian store. Dates will turn soft with 
heat.Mash dates with a spatula so as to mix well with dry fruits.
When dates are mashed well turn off the stove.
Add a tbsp Almond powder or dry coconut powder or both to the dates mixture. They bring the 
mixture together and adds more taste. You can also add flaxseed powder.

Mix well. Take it on a lightly greased plate. 

When it's slightly warm, Bring the mixture together like a ball. Make it into a log.You can also 
use Cling wrap to roll into log. To get square pieces roll like a log shape.
Roll in Cling wrap. and place in refrigerator for 10 minutes.

When it's cold, cut into pieces. You can also roll em like Ladoos when mixture is warm.

You can make any shape out of these. 



0 comments :

Post a Comment