Poha is otherwise known as Atukulu in telugu, Aval in Tamil and Avalakki in Kannada.
Poha or flattened rice is quick n easy to cook and can be used to make breakfast or snacks. Poha Upma is a typical breakfast in Maharastrian cuisine. Once I ran out of Idli, Dosa batter I opt for Upma and Atlu( Non fermented version Dosa).You can find those recipes under Breakfast category on my blog. Kande Poha and Dadpe Poha are two such Poha recipes Suits as breakfast/snack.By the way you can buy Poha from any Indian grocery store.The Poha used here are thin Poha.
Dadpe Poha is a recipe where thin Poha in its raw form is seasoned with Tadka and various raw veggies which makes it nutritious. A bowl of this tastiest Poha has all food groups and makes you feel full n satisfied and keeps you going for long.
One fine spring evening after a long walk with a group of friends, my friend Jyothi offered all of us a snack which is this Dadpe Poha. That was my first time eating it and I really loved it. So the snack became dinner as I couldn't stop with little bit😃. When she was seasoning the poha without cooking I was suspicious about the taste. When she was putting sugar in that I was discouraged as I don't like sweet in my savory dishes. When I had the first bite all suspicions were gone. It was really good and most importantly not sweet. The sugar balanced and brought all the flavors together.
You can make this Poha for any meal or eat as a snack. Poha is rich in Carbs. The seasoning has Peanuts, a protein source. Raw onions, tomatoes are the veggi source. You can also add grated carrot, con, grated fresh coconut for more nutrition. You can also pack it for lunch box minus the onions.The recipe, once prepared needs to be set aside for atleast 15 minutes to soak up all flavors.But I couldn't wait to eat it so consumed after 5 minutes.Still it was yummy.so depending on your hunger and patience set he time :-).
Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml)
3 Cups Poha
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
3 Tablespoons Peanuts
2 green chillies
1/2 medium onion
few coriander leaves
salt to taste
1 teaspoon sugar (Optional)
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
Dadpe Poha step-by-step Recipe with Photos
- Take 3 cups Poha in a wide mixing bowl.
- Chop 1/2 medium size onion finely.
- Chop1 tomato finely.
- Chop coriander finely.
- Add above 3 ingredients to Poha and stir well. Keep Aside.
- Chop 2-3 green chillies finely. Or more if you like spicy.
- Heat a fry pan and take 2 tablespoons oil or less per your preference.
- Add cumin seeds. When they splutter add Peanuts. Fry them till they turn color. Add green chillies.Fry em few seconds.Turn off the stove and add turmeric, salt to taste and teaspoon sugar.
- Add the seasoning to the Poha.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice to Poha.
- Mix well with spoon. Once seasoning is not hot mix well with hands.
- Leave Poha aside for 15 minutes. It will soak up all flavors.
- Dadpe Poha is ready to serve.
- Add grated carrot, corn, grated fresh coconut for additional flavors.
- If You feel Poha is dry sprinkle little water.
- Make sure you are using thin Poha.