Veggibites
For a Healthy Lifestyle!
Home » , » Okra Stir Fry ( Bendakaya Fry)

Okra Stir Fry ( Bendakaya Fry)

Written By Praveena Gudipati on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 | 10:33 PM


Okra otherwise known as Ladie's finger(Bendakaya) is one of my favorite veggie.I like it either fried or stir fried.Since okra is slimy it repels lot of people from enjoying the vegetable.But stir fry or fry removes most of that texture.

Writing this recipe today takes me back to my childhood memories.As I said Okra is my most favorite veggie even from childhood.I have a habit of eating them raw directly from the plant.Those tender, crunchy Okra directly from the plant are really tasty. 

While talking about Okra I want to mention something else. I see lot of people snapping the end part of Okra to figure out if they are tender. It really is irritating to see that they have no concern for the mess they make and how bad it looks. I see some grocers putting a board 'no snapping'.  I can see that all these people want to do is find the tender ones but there is an alternative way of doing it. If an Okra is soft to the touch it's tender. This is the method I use to pick em out. Press them gently to feel the softness.

Anyway today I found so fresh and tender Okras, probably due to spring. So my first thought on mind stir fry.

This is a simple recipe using few ingredients. Okra, garlic and green chillies along with regular tadka ingredients.

I remember from childhood lot of grown ups saying that by eating lot of Okra one would grow to be good in learning science. Donno know for sure but I grew up becoming a Biotechnologist. I guess I could give lil bit of credit to all the raw/cooked slimy veggies I consumed😀😀.

Nutrition: Keeping that aside, Okras like other veggies are rich in fiber. Also good source of vitamins including Folate. Veggies rich in folate are really good for Pregnant women. Also okra being rich in fiber can keep blood sugar levels normal. Eating fiber rich foods keeps your colon healthy.


Servings:
Four (4)
Total time:
35 minutes
Category:
Vegetables, Frys/stirfrys
Author:
Praveena Gudipati

Ingredients: (I use US standard measuring; 1cup=8oz=250ml)

  • 3 cups of Okra
  • 3-4 green chillies
  • 4 cloves of Garlic
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • Turmeric
  • Mustard seeds
  • Cumin seeds
  • Few Curry leaves




Okra Stir Fry step-by-step Recipe 

Chop okra as thin round pieces. Keep the pieces uniform to let em cook at same time.
Chop green chillies finely

Chop garlic cloves as small pieces.If the cloves are small you can use whole. 
Now heat a wide fry pan. Add 2 tablespoon oil.
Season with mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When seeds splutter add curry leaves. 
Add garlic pieces and green chillies and fry them nicely till they change color.Add chopped Okra pieces.
Keep stirring Okra in between. Cook em well on medium flame till the pieces are soft. Do not cover pan. Mine took about 10 minutes. Tender okra cooks faster than mature ones.
Add salt to taste, turmeric when Okras are almost done. Cook couple minutes and turn off the stove.
Serve the curry with Rice and plain Dal ( Cooked yellow lentils). 


Tips: 

  • Keep chopped Okra in refrigerator for some time to cut down sliminess.
  • Add chillies as per your preference.
  • You can add more garlic pieces if you like.



Related Recipes:



0 comments :

Post a Comment